Saturday, May 30, 2009

Millet - Gluten Free

Millet is Gluten Free

To Cook: The Ratio is 1:2 (1 part Grain to 2 parts Water)
*You can rinse with water first if desired - I recommend it, but it is up to you.

On the stove top cook for 25 - 30 minutes
If you use a Pressure cooker, cook on High pressure for 7 minutes.

When it is cooked it is light & fluffy, add more water and it becomes mushy like Polenta or mashed potatos. Millet by itself has a bland flavor. The beauty of its blandness is that it "takes on" the flavor of whatever you add it to! Hence the ease of the "sneak"! When it is cooked it can easily be added to almost anything, scrambled eggs, macaroni & cheese, taco meat, chili, use as a meat extender in meatloaf & meatballs, stuffing aka dressing(you know, like with Thanksgiving dinner), soups & stews, add it to hot cereal, you could mix it with rice (as long as you aren't "sneaking". It can be added, cooked or whole raw grain to bread dough. I haven't tried this but have read that if you toast the raw grain before cooking, it tastes kinda like buttered popcorn. Experiment and let me know!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this together! I am excited to get using these! I would have never had the courage to try these other grains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the grain you are going to highlight next so I can get some? Also, can you add millet to cookie dough and other sweets like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kimber! I hear you are going great guns with grains! Woo Hoo!! Please share your experiences & recipes. I will post them & give you total credit ;) I am working on highlighting Amaranth and Quinoa next. I have the general information part started on the Amaranth and have experimented with a few fun recipes. Hopefully I will get that all published next week. I am headed to Vegas tonight. I'm SO excited you are a grain girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the question about adding Millet to Cookie Dough: I have never added Millet to cookie dough but I imagine it would work fine. If you have worked with cooked Millet you are familiar with how it changes texture a bit over a day or so. When it is initially cooked up, it is a bit stickier & moist in consistancy. After it has cooled or after being in the fridge overnight, it becomes more of a "fluffy" consistancy. I would recommend using the "fluffy" Millet rather than the freshly cooked. Then I don't think you'd have any problems due to the extra moisture content.
    I plan to give this a try, maybe even next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie, Thanks for letting my know about your blog. It will be very interesting and helpful. I am going to have to look into using Millet. Also I actually used Quinoa this morning for breakfast. Not our favorite. I have been trying to use more whole wheats. I made zuchinni bread yesterday and subsituted half of the white flour for wheat. It was so tasty. Thanks for all you ideas and support. I have been meaning to talk to about this anyways so I am glad you made all the comments you did. Please give me more when you have them.

    ReplyDelete